Friday, February 29, 2008

New Mudcrutch - RedSlater.com




Got this email last week from Red Slater.


Hello Sean-
Glad you got the site running again. I was surprised to see it missing.
I heard the Mudcrutch CD will be out early March, so I will probably start up a Google ad soon. Thanks for the reference to my site.


If you want a Mudcrutch picture for your site, just let me know. I will be glad to give you something.


Red


Reminder: All music released in the United States is released on a TUESDAY! So start watching your local stores!


About Red Slater & Mudcrutch (from RedSlater.com)
In 1969 I moved in with a friend, Randall Marsh, and his roommate, Mike Campbell. The old cracker house was on the north side of Gainesville, and somewhat isolated...but the rent was cheap. They were then playing in a band called 'Dead or Alive', which played local venues.
I had been taking pictures in Gainesville for several years, so setting up my darkroom in the small bedroom there was quite normal.


In 1970 Randall auditioned for a band that Tom Pety and Tom Leadon were forming.
Tom was playing bass at the time, and when Randall suggested his roommate could play lead, Mike came out holding a cheap guitar, only to meet some skeptical looks. It only took a few chords of 'Johnny B. Goode', and, well, the rest is history.


By late 1970 the first Mudcrutch music festival was happening at the house, soon to be nicknamed 'Mudcrutch Farm.'


I took pictures of the band as it evolved, with my final pictures being in 1974. To be honest, I never dreamed that these guys would be so successful. I was just taking pictures of them because they were my friends.


My pictures have been used in the 'Playback' collection, the 'Anthology Through the Years' CD, on VH1's 'Behind the Music - Tom Petty', in the Rolling Stone and Goldmine magazines, and in the book 'Conversations With Tom Petty.' At the end of 2007, more pictures were included in the book and movie 'Runnin' Down a Dream.'


You may recognize some of the images here, but some have never been published. I hope you enjoy them..... Red Slater



No comments: