Sunday, June 12, 2005

Music Midtown Experience Atlanta

I didn't get this email from Mary of East End till Sunday night.

"Tell him to call me at the hotel. I want to talk to him."

Above is Tony's reponse to me telling him you would be asking for him at the show..."

This is the Thank You email I sent Mary.

Hey Mary,I can't thank you enough. If there is anything I can ever do for you, please don't hesitate to ask. Godfather jokes aside!

1st off, I didn't get THIS email till 8:44 Sunday! Just now got my Internet connection fixed.

Anyway, I showed up to Music Midtown around 6. I wasn't sure how late will call would stay open. It was pouring. They had my tix, but no passes. I called Josh and he asked that I meet him at the stage. Cause you see, it was pouring. So once I got closer, after walking a mile in the pouring rain, I called Josh again. He met me at side stage and told me they're not good till 9:45, but was a huge help.

So, I milled around for a while, actually watched John Fogerty. Was never a CCR fan, but he was great and Fortunate One is as strong lyrically today as it was when he wrote it! He was great. Did I tell you it was pouring?

Around 9:30, there was a crowd at the backstage entrance. Mostly press photographers. The security guys were not the sharpest knives in the drawer and were only letting people in one at a time after frisking each person, checking ID, getting blood drawn and what ever other quantum physics rent-a-cops do. But they did it REALLY slow in the pouring rain.

Once I got backstage, I honestly didn't know where to go, and all I could think of was what you told me Friday about staying out of the crew's way.

So, I found a safe corner and just watched for a while. Then Josh saw me. He came up and says have you seen Tony yet, he wants to talk to YOU! (and he actually pokes me in the shoulder! Haha) I don't know who was more surprised, me or him! Before seeing Tony, I got to say hello to Benmont, Scott, Ron and Steve. Then I walk towards the tent Tony's in. I knew exactly who he was. I walked up to him stuck my hand out and introduced myself. He smiled and said where have you been, I wanted to talk to you. Sorry, I don't have the telepathy thing down yet as you must have Mary!

So, I said I've been standing in the pouring rain. Haha He laughs, and then gives me the once over and says I didn't realize you're such a big guy. I was standing next to Steve and I'm taller than he is... He never did tell me what he wanted to talk about. But he did ask for my new # and said he would call me in the morning. Still haven't heard from him! We talked a little and he introduced me to more of the crew. But everyone was stressed right before show time. I asked where can I stand and not be in the way...

Tony says, wanna watch the show from the stage? I bit my smart ass tongue and said sure. So, he asked Richard to give me a laminate. They were out, So Josh gave me the one around his neck. It seemed when the crew saw how Tony was talking to me, they did the same. I don't know if that came out right. But everyone was so nice to me and I just can't figure out why!
So, Tony and I walk on stage and there I am watching the show 10 yards from TP and the band. Saw Dana, met Ron's Dad, Rick Richards... it was great.

Was funny, there was another band playing on another stage, Tom stopped a few times because he couldn't hear himself. He made the comment, well, the next time we come to Atlanta, we won't be playing for THIS promoter. The band sounded great, the crowd stayed through the pouring rain and Tom extended the setlist because of the rain and the interruptions. Towards the end, the crew was preparing for them to come off stage and he just kept playing! Haha

Anyway, THANK YOU for helping make a dream come true. Granted I've lived the road crew lifestyle before and you have no worries with me not acting professional back there, but inside, that 13 year old Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers fan was saying "Holy Shit!"

Thanks Mary!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great story for a Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers fan to read and experience the vicarious thrill of getting backstage!